Allo' Expat Denmark - Connecting Expats in Denmark
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Denmark Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Denmark
Denmark General Information
Denmark Expatriates Handbook
Denmark and Foreign Government
Denmark General Listings
Denmark Useful Tips
Housing in Denmark
Pets to bring into Denmark
Customs & Etiquettes
Business Etiquettes
Driving in Denmark
Denmark Education & Medical
Denmark Travel & Tourism Info
Denmark Lifestyle & Leisure
Denmark Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Partly Cloudy/Windy
1(USD) = 0.7496(EUR)
Sat | 11:10AM

Pets to Bring into Denmark

The Danes are in general extremely fond of pets. Pets often become part of the family on equal terms with the rest of the members of the family. Often you will see families celebrating the birthday of a pet, tying a red bow around its neck for special occasions or treating it to special foods e.g. at Christmas.

Approx 40% of all families in DK have a pet. The preferred pets are dogs, cats, rodents such as rabbits or hamsters, horses (in the rural areas) and fish. It is typically families with children and families who live outside the cities that have pets.

At the regional customs and tax offices you can get information about whether special provisions apply to the goods you want to import. However, most common pets can be imported into Denmark without any problems.

It is possible, since October 1st, for the pet to have its own passport. The passport contains information on rabies injections and on tattoo or chip mark. The passport will only be issued if this information is valid. Puppies and kittens do not need their own passport if travelling with the mother.

Import of exotic or endangered species requires a permission from the Danish Forrestry & Nature Agency as well as the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration. Also, it can prove helpful to contact the Danish embassy in your country of residence.

Generally, the following information is forwarded to the Regional Veterinary and Food Administration:

  1. The species, breed, date of birth and ID number.
  2. Date and point of entry.
  3. Name and address of the applicant.
  4. If relevant, the name and address of the natural person responsible for the animal during the transport on behalf to the applicant.
  5. Name and address of the breeder.
  6. A written declaration from the breeder stating that the animal was born at the resident of the breeder and that it has had no contact with wild animals likely to have been exposed to rabies infection. The declaration must be signed by the breeder and can be faxed, scanned and emailed or forwarded with digital signature.

The application must be forward to your Regional Veterinary and Food Administration at least 30 days before the import. If all the relevant information is not forwarded to the Regional Veterinary and Food Administration, the application will normally not be considered.

If rabies is occuring in the country of origin the Regional Veterinary and Food Administration will require an officiel signed statement form the veterinary authorities, that the place of origin (the recidens of the breeder) has been free of rabise in a radius of 50 kilometres for the past 6 months.

In Denmark you are allowed to have pets in all houses, but not in all apartments. If you have any doubts whether you are allowed to have a pet in your apartment, please contact your landlord.

Note: It is illegal to own or breed pit bull terriers or Tosas in Denmark. Furthermore, Denmark is subject to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).